The Black Berkey Primer™ for Priming or Purging Black Berkey Elements
For Priming or Purging(cleaning) Black Berkey elements
- It clears the pores of debris that has accumulated with use,
- reduces the amount of time & effort needed to dry the filters prior to storing them. In addition, those who may be having difficulty priming their elements in a small sink, can use the Black Berkey Primer™ instead.
PRIMING WITH THE BLACK BERKEY PRIMER
The Berkey Primer is the best way to prime the filters due to it thoroughly compressing water into the micro-pourous cavities inside the Black Berkey filters
Valve orientation of this tool is crucial, refer to the image. The valves must be installed in the same direction as shown in the image. Refer to the blue section of the image for priming. Red section for purging
side note...attaching valves incorrectly can result in stretching (damaging) the clear hose which means when the valve is attached correctly, the valve may not stay attached within the clear hose. if this mistake has been made, just simply cut the stretched part off and re attach valve correctly.
PRIMING WITH THE TAN BUTTON (washer)
Here are instructions and images to aid in the priming of black berkey filters, but first an image of how to properly hold filter when priming. This will help prevent water spraying and squirting all over the place. It is helpful to add the wingnut while priming so you can achieve a good grip resulting in a compression type connection with the faucet. (Dont apply to much pressure which might break wingnut or damage threads on filter)
- Attach wingnut to black filter and place fingers under the wingnut so you can achieve a good grip.
- Place thumb over top of faucet so you can compress tan washer to tap
- turn on tap with low pressure and saturate filter. After 10 to 20 seconds it should be primed perfectly.
After priming, gently shake filter from side to side and you should hear some water gushing about inside. This will indicate success.... if not prime again. The fillers hold about 2/3 cup of water